Can I claim compensation if someone attacks me?

There were almost 1.4 million estimated cases of violent assault in England and Wales, according to latest numbers from the Office of National Statistics.

Unfortunately, this figure hasn’t changed in the last three years and doesn’t include unreported assaults. If you’ve been a victim of an unprovoked attack then you’ll be no stranger to how traumatic it can be.

If you’re not sure where you stand when it comes to making a compensation claim when you’ve been attacked, here’s a few pointers to get you started:

  • You must be the blameless victim or applying on behalf of a blameless victim
  • The crime must have been reported to the police
  • You’ll need a crime reference number
  • The crime must have taken place in England or Wales
  • You must apply to the CICA for compensation within 2 years of the assault taking place

The attack can include physical injuries, sexual abuse and disabling mental injuries. We know money won’t take away the fact you were assaulted, but it can help in providing the rehabilitation you need, along with supplementing any missed income.

It’s not just the attack itself that’s traumatic – there are all sorts of after effects that can stay with you long after the attack happened. If, as a result of your injury, you suffer from flashbacks, panic attacks, nightmares, anxiety or depression then you can claim compensation for the psychological effects too if you’re clinically diagnosed by a psychiatrist or a consultant psychologist.

Claiming through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authorities (CICA)

The CICA is the body that pays out compensation if someone has been physically or mentally injured in an unprovoked attack. Payments range from £1,000 to £500,000 and depend on the severity of your injury. It can be daunting knowing where to start out with your claim to the CICA – that’s why our team can help you prepare and submit their claims through the CICA.

Suing a person or an organisation for an assault

You may also be able to make a civil claim against an individual or an organisation, as well as making a claim to the CICA. For example if you’re in a pub and the bouncer assaults you then you may be able to sue the bouncer, and perhaps the pub. We’ve handled cases involving people being assaulted at work by colleagues where the employer is liable for the employee who carries out the attack (this is called vicarious liability). This also includes assaults on the street – you could make a civil claim against your attacker. Please contact our criminal injury team for advice and guidance.

Our solicitors can help you claim compensation for physical injuries, psychological damage and loss of income, so you can start to rebuild your life.

Get in touch