Don’t speed this festive season: speeding fines increase by up to 75%

Peterborough MP Fiona Onasanya has been found guilty of perverting the course of justice after denying she was behind the wheel when her car was doing 41 mph in a 30 mph zone.

Onasanya told authorities that her family’s former lodger, Aleks Antipow, was driving the car when it was caught speeding. But Antipow was actually in Russia visiting his family when the incident happened. The police then discovered Onasanya had given a fake address and phone number in an attempt to avoid prosecution.

The current minimum fine for speeding is three points on your license and £100. Those of you with a clean license may be able to avoid getting points on your license by attending a speed awareness course.

Speeding fines have recently changed; instead of taking 100% of your weekly income, you could be charged up to 175% of your weekly income and be banned from driving for up to 56 days.

Is there anything that could increase my speeding fine or sentence?

There are certain things that can actually bump up the seriousness of your speeding offence. This may include:

  • Poor weather conditions
  • Previous convictions
  • Towing a caravan or trailer
  • Driving anything bigger than a car, such as an HGV
  • Carrying passengers
  • High traffic levels
  • High pedestrian levels
  • Built up location such as near a school

Can I speed if it’s an emergency?

In short, no. Unless you’re driving an emergency vehicle, such as a police car, ambulance or fire engine, you can’t drive over the speed limit. There are, however, a couple of exceptions to the rule, otherwise known as ‘duress of necessity.’ This includes if you’re speeding to get away from an immediate threat such as an attack or if one of your passengers suddenly becomes seriously ill with a life-threatening condition.

There are a few other mitigating factors that can potentially reduce your fine / sentence. This includes having no previous convictions and being of good character.

Have you been in a road traffic accident through no fault of your own? Even if you don’t know the identity of the person who caused the accident because they drove away before you managed to get their details, you can still claim for your personal injury. You are also still entitled to compensation even if the other driver is uninsured, thanks to the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) agreements. Call our Personal Injury solicitors on 0800 614 722 for your free no obligation consultation or request a call back.