Can you give me an example of the kind of obligations an occupier has to me if I visit their premises?

Of course. If you visit your local supermarket you can expect the shelving to be structurally sound and any signage properly secured so that nothing falls on you as you walk past.

What can I claim for if I am injured and I have a public liability claim?

A: In addition to ‘compensation’ for the injury you have suffered you can claim for the financial losses you incur that were caused by your injury. Examples of the kind of financial losses you might be able to claim for are:

  • Lost wages
  • Prescriptions
  • Private medical treatment (such as physiotherapy)
  • Travel to and from medical appointments
  • Care provided by a family member or friend in more serious accidents

Can you tell me more about a local authority’s duty under the Highways Act 1980?

If you have had a fall in a public place as a result of defective paving then you may have a claim against the local authority. Section 41 of the Highways Act 1980 confers a duty upon the local authority to look after and maintain the public highway. If, as a result of its failure to maintain the highway you trip or fall on a defect and suffer an injury the authority may be liable to pay you personal injury compensation. Examples of highway tripping claims are: falls in the high street; tripping over a hole as you cross the road; defective kerb stones; flag stones that rock or wobble when you stand on them causing you to loose your balance.