Why work for us?
With a first class reputation within the legal industry, you will enjoy a career as part of a leading serious injury practice. Over the years, Birchall Blackburn Law’s Personal injury teams have helped thousands of people recover compensation for their injuries and illnesses. Our Serious and Catastrophic Injury team focuses on injury claims of the utmost severity including brain injury, spinal injury, amputation and fatal cases.
Being a Law Society Accredited Personal Injury Practice and the Serious and Catastrophic Injury team being APIL accredited, you will join a team of hardworking and highly experienced injury experts who are dedicated to providing a high quality and understanding service to clients.
We have 7 offices across the North West in Chester, Chorley, Leyland, Manchester, Morecambe, Preston and Southport.
Due to continued growth, we have an excellent opportunity for a paralegal to join our team. You will be responsible for assisting the solicitors within the department across a growing and diverse multi track caseload whilst also running your own small MOJ portal caseload.
We are seeking applications from candidates who are able to demonstrate a real interest in catastrophic injury work. This role is a great opportunity to gain consistent exposure to high quality work.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the solicitors in the department with progressing multi track matters
- Proactively manage your own small caseload of MOJ Portal matters
- Take new instructions from potential clients, obtaining all relevant details to enable an accurate assessment of the claim
- Discuss funding arrangements with the client
- Interview clients and witnesses and prepare detailed statements
- Arrange and manage client’s attendance at medical appointments
- Review medical records and prepare accurate chronologies
- Instruct experts in fast track matters
- Prepare briefs to counsel in fast track matters
- Review medical reports
- Prepare thorough documentation required in the preparation of cases to trial/ stage 3 settlement hearings
- Liaise with clients and handle matters with the appropriate sensitivity
- Attend conferences with counsel and settlement meetings to take detailed notes
- Understand client requirements and manage cases in line with agreed service levels and best practice
- Analyse risk and further develop sound judgement enabling the justification of decisions to clients internally and externally
- Understand individual role in the context of the practice group and pro-actively seek to contribute to increased efficiency in developing a case load appropriate to level of technical, legal knowledge
- Build working relationships internally and externally in order to develop business networks and create a solid understanding of the Firm’s direction and client needs
Qualifications , Experience and Skills
- Academic qualifications in Law (LPC is advantageous, but not essential)
- Experience of MOJ portal work is desirable
- Paralegal experience within personal injury (claimant or defendant) is desirable
- Experience of fast track or multi track matters is advantageous
- Have a sound understanding of Civil Procedure Rules and protocols
- Be able to prioritise work effectively to maximise efficiency in working practices
- Demonstrate experience in and have a keen interest in marketing
- An effective communicator both orally and in writing, having a good command of written English
- The ability to display a pleasant, but assertive manner in dealing with colleagues and clients
- Personally efficient and well organised, with good control of diary systems
- An ability to build relationships with the client, family, witnesses, counsel and experts
- Enthusiastic team player with commitment to quality client care
- The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a real commitment to and empathy with the client
- In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package.
Hours: 9.00am – 5.30pm – Monday to Friday (Full Time, Permanent)
Applications to: Please apply for this role by sending your CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting job reference 21MAN
Please note, this vacancy may be closed at any time if sufficient applications have been received.