Why work for us?
With a first class reputation within the legal industry, you will enjoy a career as part of a leading serious injury practice. Over the years, Birchall Blackburn Law’s Personal injury teams have helped thousands of people recover compensation for their injuries and illnesses. Our Serious and Catastrophic Injury team focuses on injury claims of the utmost severity including brain injury, spinal injury, amputation and fatal cases.
Being a Law Society Accredited Personal Injury Practice and the Manchester team being APIL accredited, you will join a team of hardworking and highly experienced injury experts who are dedicated to providing a high quality and understanding service to clients.
We have 7 offices across the North West in Chester, Chorley, Leyland, Manchester, Morecambe, Preston and Southport.
Due to continued growth, we have an excellent opportunity for a newly qualified-2/3 year PQE Solicitor to join our team in Manchester. You will be responsible for assisting the Head of Department across a growing and diverse multi track caseload whilst also running your own smaller mixed fast track caseload which will include RTA, EL/PL and CICA matters.
We are seeking applications from candidates who are able to demonstrate a real interest in catastrophic injury work, and from those who will have gained experience of handling high value claimant personal injury files.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the Head of Department and senior fee earners with progressing multi track matters whilst also proactively managing own small caseload of fast track matters.
- Prepare thorough documentation required in the preparation of cases to trial
- Liaise with clients and handle matters with the appropriate sensitivity
- Interview clients and witnesses and prepare detailed statements
- Attend conferences with counsel and settlement meetings
- Liaise with experts
- Quantify damages
- Understand client requirements and manage cases in line with agreed service levels and best practice
- Analyse risk and further develop sound judgement enabling the justification of decisions to clients internally and externally
- Understand individual role in the context of the practice group and pro-actively seek to contribute to increased efficiency in developing a case load appropriate to level of technical, legal knowledge
- Build working relationships internally and externally in order to develop business networks and create a solid understanding of the Firm’s direction and client needs
Qualifications , Experience and Skills
- Newly qualified-2/3 year PQE solicitor with good experience in relevant claimant work
- Academic qualifications in Law and experience within a legal environment
- Experience of working in personal injury is essential (claimant or defendant)
- Experience of serious injury claims advantageous
- Have a sound understanding of Civil Procedure Rules and protocols
- Experience in dealing with fast track matters essential
- Experience of working on multi track matters advantageous
- Good case management skills
- Be able to prioritise work effectively to maximise efficiency in working practices
- Demonstrate experience in and have a keen interest in marketing
- The ability to display a pleasant, but assertive manner in dealing with colleagues and clients
- An effective communicator both orally and in writing, having a good command of written English
- Personally efficient and well organised, with good control of diary systems
- An ability to build relationships with the client, family, witnesses, counsel and experts
- Enthusiastic team player with commitment to quality client care
- The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a real commitment to and empathy with the client
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary, bonus scheme and benefits package.
Hours: 9.00am – 5.30pm – Monday to Friday (Full Time, Permanent)
Applications to: Please apply for this role by sending your CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting job ref 12MAN
Please note, this vacancy may be closed at any time if sufficient applications have been received.