What should I do if my relationship is breaking down?

A separation is difficult, regardless of whether you are married or not. But, the steps you need to take will depend on whether you are married or cohabiting.

What to do if you’re married?

If you want to end your marriage, you are likely to seek a divorce. However, if you’re not yet comfortable with the finality of divorce, you may seek a deed of separation. This gives you some security and peace of mind setting out clearly any agreement or financial obligations moving forward.

What to do if you’re not married?

If you are not married but lived with your partner, and had savings with them, then you are still going to want to divide your joint assets.

You will need to consider what to do if you’ve been in a long term relationship and live with your partner but want to separate. Where do you stand financially if you bought a house and cars together? What happens to savings that you have both contributed to?

We can help give you answers to these questions which will determine how you proceed.

What happens to children?

If you have children, you will need to decide who your children will live with. This will include how often you see your children, which is known as making ‘child arrangements’. Child arrangements can be informal, and will not require you to attend court unless as parents you are not able to reach agreement.

What do I do about living arrangements?

Assuming you don’t have a cohabitation agreement setting out clearly what will happen if your relationship were to break down, you and your ex-partner need to decide whether one or both of you both move out and end your tenancy or sell your home.  One of you may wish to purchase the others interest.

What you decide to do will depend on what you can afford, what you’re most comfortable with and whether or not you have children. It might also depend on whether you have rights to stay in the home if you separate. Is your name on the deeds?


Call us today on 0800 614 722 to arrange a free and confidential initial consultation.