Can I still claim if I’m hit by an uninsured driver?

Can I make a claim even if the driver is uninsured?

In short, yes you can!

Unfortunately, there are an estimated 1 million uninsured drivers on Britain’s roads.

However, the good news is, in most instances where you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver you are able to obtain compensation through the Motor Insurers Bureau.

What is the Motor Insurers Bureau?

The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) is a corporate body established by agreement with all insurers’ part of the road traffic insurance sector specifically to deal with claims against untraced or uninsured drivers. Each insurance company offering motor insurance is compelled to be a part of the MIB; contribute to funding the payout of these claims and give information of insurance policies in place to the MIB’s own Database (MID).

How do I find out if the other driver is uninsured?

If you’ve asked the other driver for their insurance details and they haven’t come up with an answer, then as long as you’ve got their number plate your solicitor can search the MIB’s database to ascertain if insurance is in place for that vehicle.  

Also, if the other driver outright refuses to give you their details, you’re obliged to call the police as it’s a criminal offence. You should also take down their name, address and contact details. Of course, some people may give you false information but your solicitor or insurer may be able to obtain some information on the driver using the MID

Keeping a record of your losses

Keep a record of any financial expenses you incur following the accident including:

  • Travel costs
  • Medical costs
  • Damage to your vehicle
  • Insurance that has covered any of these losses

When you won’t get a payout

The MIB won’t pay compensation if:

  • You were a passenger in an uninsured vehicle knowing it was uninsured when you entered the vehicle
  • You were the passenger in a stolen vehicle which you knew or had reason to believe was stolen
  • You were a passenger in a vehicle driven by someone under the influence of drugs and/ or alcohol as this voids the policy of insurance
  • The accident happened on a private road

MIB claims are in many ways similar to other road traffic accident claims but are not exactly the same! As such it is important  you make sure you have the right solicitor for the job – we can help you receive the compensation you’re entitled to. We offer specialist legal help for road traffic accidents including those caused by uninsured drivers. If you’ve been in a road accident that wasn’t your fault, please get in touch with our team:

Talk to us